Saturday 6 April 2013

M(^a^)kisan

I think I am in love with the concept of DIYs.

vscocam147

So, naturally, after Kyra told me about this place, I needed to go. Pronto. DIY SUSHI. It's a genius idea. Pick your rice, your seaweed wrap. Pick the middle-ly bits and the saucy bits and viola! Your DIYed sushi. I called mine the SashaSan.

(On another note: Why does everything sound so instantly zen when you suffix it with 'san'?)
vscocam138
So we brought dragged Ana here yesterday because I only have a week in Singy left and MY HEART WILL NOT REST until I have tried this.

If the whole build-your-own-sushi-bar idea was not enough. They have the cutest little store ever. It's in the basement of the Cathay. Which is pretty wonderful if you think about it: no orchard-like-monster-crowd for you to nudge yourself out of. No people to stare down as you wait for empty tables. No personal-bubble-invasion.

vscocam137
So you are given a little clipboard and a checklist for your salad or your sushi. And let's be honest. If you have come to Makisan, ge the damn sushi. You can get build-it-yourself salads at subway. And every other salad buffet table on earth.

Plus, the sushis come it adorable collectable boxes.
*insert 'Hoarders' theme song*
I, Sasha Gill, pledge to eat enough sushi here until I get all five different boxes.
PicMonkey Collage43242

I was planning to display my beautiful sushi log here and give you a detailed description of what I had picked to go inside.

but: I blanked out while filling my sushi form. All I remember is i got the brown rice (looked pink). And some funky sauce with the name 'Ponzu' which I am praying is not some secret fish blood sauce (you never know with the japanese cuisine).

PicMonkey Collage57483975

Ain't she a doll?
I ate it with chopsticks. Me. chopsticks. No, I did nto spear my sushi like an ancient fisherman. I have been practising.

(hah, jokes. It was luck and a desperate attempt to embrace my Asian roots)

Need to go again. Can't go with Kyra because she spent half the time talking in a heavy Japanese accent.

"Kyrasan will ordersan the megasan."

(she did nto actually but I tend to hear everything in a japanese accent when I am in kawaii-ish surroundings)

M(^a^)kisan
Website: http://www.rollwithmakisan.com/
Address: 2 Handy Road, #B1-17/18, Singapore, Singapore 229233 (Basement of the Cathay)
Hours:
Mon - Thu: 11:30 - 21:30
Fri - Sat: 12:00 - 22:00
Sun: 11:30 - 21:30

No comments:

Post a Comment